- Chordata - vertebrates and a few primitive relatives
- Molluscs - mostly bivalves, univalves and cephalopods.
- Arthropods - the largest phylum; includes insects, arachnids, crustaceans, millipedes and centipedes.
- Echinoderms - spiny skinned marine creatures including starfish and sea urchins.
- Coelenterates - includes sea anemones and jellyfish.
- Annelids - the segmented worms.
- Nematodes - a phylum of worms with a vast and worldwide presence, yet which are little-known apart from a few pathogens.
Many other worm phyla exist.